'PLYMOUTH, DEVONPORT AND STONEHOUSE.' by J. Rapkin / H. Bibby / J. Tallis c.1855
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century plan of Plymouth which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Bibby) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1855). This plan only appeared in later editions of the atlas and is consequently rarer to find.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The Plymouth plan was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Plymouth Sound, the Column and a general view of the city.
- This is an original steel engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 35.5cms by 26.4cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins; central fold, as issued. A minor split to the top of the fold has been repaired. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.