'POLYNESIA OR ISLANDS IN THE PACIFIC OCEAN.' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Europe which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles & T. Wrighton) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanies the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Polynesia, or Islands in the Pacific Ocean' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Kalakakooa, Sandwich Islands (Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii); Resolution Bay, Marquesas; Otaheite (Tahiti) and the 'Harbour of Dory, New Guinea' (Dorey Harbour, Manokwari).
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 36cms by 26.5cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.