'PRUSSIA AND POLAND' by J. Archer / W. Pinnock c.1836
An interesting and unusual 19th century map of modern day Northern Germany and Poland which was engraved on wood by Joshua Archer and published in The Guide to Knowledge edited by William Pinnock (London: W. Edwards, 1836 [Vol. IV]).
The Guide to Knowledge, published in weekly parts from 1833, was a philanthropic work intended to provide the masses with affordable and educational literature during at a time of political and social upheavel. The earlier editions included county and foreign maps which were unusual in that they were engraved on woodblocks with the lines and letters incised into the wood so that when printed, the detail would appear as white on a black background. This unconventional technique whilst economically viable proved unpopular and was abandoned in favour of lithography; nevertheless; the maps are amusing cartographic curiosities.
- This is an original wood engraving.
- Printed area is approximately 23cms by 16.7cms (not including outer title).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Slight age toning. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame acid free mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 180 years old.