'SCOTLAND.' by John Tallis c.1851
A detailed and decorative mid 19th century map of Scotland which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by N. Whittock and J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of text that accompanies the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The Scotland map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Edinburgh, the Brig of Doon & Burn's Monument, Scott's Monument, Holyrood House, some hunters deer stalking and Scotsmen, in ceremonial dress, playing the game of shinty.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.4cms by 35.6cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. There are some minor edge tears, just outside the printed area, which have been repaired. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.