'SHROP SHIRE By Robert Morden.' c.1695 (First Edition)
An interesting and attractive late 17th century map of Shropshire by Robert Morden which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular map comes from the first edition of 1695 as it has a number of 'errors' that were corrected for the next edition of 1722; for example, Round Acton is described as 'Roundatton'.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 42.3cms by 36cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 300 years old.