'The Smaller ISLANDS - in the BRITISH OCEAN' by J. Owen & E. Bowen c.1724
A charming early 18th Century map of islands around Britain*, including the Isle of Wight, the Scilly Isles, The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, which appeared in a pocket road atlas entitled Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London: T. Bowles, 1720-1764).
Britannia Depicta (1720-1764) was one of the most popular atlases of the 18th century being published in many editions for close to fifty years.The maps themselves were engraved by Emanuel Bowen (1694?-1767) who was one of the most renowned and prolific map makers of the period. As with many of his maps, he has included copious amounts of text -- written by John Owen -- describing the county.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed areas are approximately 11.7cms by 18cm.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 280 years old.
*on the verso of the map an unrelated road (Whitchurch to Chester) is displayed.