'THE SMALLER ISLANDS in the BRITISH OCEAN' by Robert Morden c.1695 (first edition)
A very attractive late 17th century map of the islands of Great Britain -- including the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, the Scilly Isles -- which was produced by Robert Morden and published in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular map comes from the first edition of 1695 as it has a number of 'errors' (which were subsequently corrected for the next edition) including 'Bawkham' and 'Brixton' being described as 'Bulcham' and 'Bery Baron'.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 42cms by 35.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 300 years old.