'THE SOUTH VIEW OF LEWIS PRIORY & CASTLE, IN THE COUNTY OF SUSSEX.' by S. & N. Buck c.1731
A very attractive and interesting 18th century view of Lewes Priory and Castle which was drawn and engraved by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck and published in Buck's Antiquities or Venerable Remains of above four hundred Castles, Monastries, Palaces (London: 1724-1742, 1774).
Samuel and Nathaniel Buck's 'Antiquities' series was the largest and most celebrated topographical work of the 18th century. Beginning in 1724, the two Yorkshire brothers travelled throughout England and Wales sketching the various ruins of monasteries, castles and other ancient buildings. By 1742, when the project was finally completed, they had produced a total of 420 views. Their efforts helped to bring to public attention the plight of many of England and Wales's antiquities and thus, generate an interest in preserving the nation's heritage.
- This is an original copperplate engraving and etching with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 35.5cms by 19cms.
- The item is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 240 years old.