'SOUTHERN INDIA INCLUDING THE PRESIDENCIES OF BOMBAY & MADRAS' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Southern India which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by A. H. Wray & J. H. Kernot) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Southern India' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Shuhur, Jeypore; the Tomb of Sultan Mahomed Shah, Bejapoor (Gol Gumbaz, Bijapur) and the Government House, Calcutta (Kolkata).
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 23.3cms by 33.3cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.