'SURREY' by Robert Morden c.1695 (First Edition / Original Hand Colour)
An interesting and attractive late 17th century map of Surrey which was produced by Robert Morden for Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695-1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular map comes from the first edition as South Lambeth is described as 'So Lambeth'; this was changed in the next edition.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.6cms by 35.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins . Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 300 years old.