'SURREY' by Robert Morden c.1753
An interesting and attractive map of Surrey, first published by Robert Morden in 1695, which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 42.1cms by 35.7cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There is a small split to the bottom centrefold. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 250 years old.