'SUSSEX Divided into its RAPES' by Emanuel Bowen (ex General Magazine) c.1756 / 1763
An attractive and finely engraved 18th Century map of Sussex, by Emanuel Bowen, which first appeared in Benjamin's Martin's General Magazine of Arts & Sciences (London: W. Owen, October 1755) and then The Natural History of England (London: W. Owen, 1763).
Emanuel Bowen (fl. 1714-1767) was among the most renowned and prolific map engravers of the 18th century and was appointed Geographer to both George II of Great Britain and Louis XV of France. Along with Thomas Kitchin and his son, Thomas Bowen, he produced some of the finest maps and atlases of the period but died in poverty.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 19.9cms by 17.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 240 years old.