'SWEDEN AND NORWAY' by John Tallis / John Rapkin c.1851(with rare page of text)
A very attractive and decorative mid 19th century map of Sweden and Norway which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by J. Marchant & J. H. Kernot) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of text which accompanies the map is included.
John Tallis's The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849, was the last decorative world atlas. The Sweden & Norway map was typical of the many fine ones that appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are fine views and images of Stockholm, Norwegian and Swedish peasantry, Laplanders in winter dress, the iron mine of Dannemora and Norwegian 'skielobere', or Skate runners.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.1cms by 34.8cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.