'SWITZERLAND.' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Switzerland which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by A. H. Wray & J. B. Allen) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Switzerland' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Berne, the Castle of Chillon, chamois hunters, Tyrolese in traditional costume and one of William Tell shooting the apple.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.5cms by 25cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There is a minor tear in the top border which has entered the decorative border. There is also some minor soiling / stains in the bottom left just outside the printed area. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.