'WEST INDIA ISLANDS AND CENTRAL AMERICA' by Keith Johnston F.R.G.S. c.1904
An interesting and detailed Edwardian map of the West Indies and Central America -- with inset plans of the proposed Panama and Nicaragua Canals* -- which was published in Keith Johnston's Royal Atlas of Modern Geography (Edinburgh & London: W. & A. K. Johnston,1904).
*Though work on the Panama Canal started in 1881 it was only in 1904, with the intervention of the U.S.A., that the major construction began. Despite being one the most difficult engineering projects ever undertaken, the canal was completed in 1914, ten years after the maps publication. The Nicaragua Canal, first proposed as early as 1825, has yet to be built. If realised, it would link the Caribbean Sea to the Pacific via Lake Nicaragua. Initial work has already been carried out but it is some way off completion.
- This is an original chromolithograph (lithographic transfer).
- Printed area is approximately 60.4cms by 46.7cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 100 years old.