'WEST INDIA ISLANDS.' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1853
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of West Indies which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & W. J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1853).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'West Indies' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its highly decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Kingston, Jamaica; various ships in harbour and one of a West Indian couple.
- This is an original steel engraving with original and later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.8cms by 26.2cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; center fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.