'WESTERN AFRICA' (with text) by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Western Africa which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles & E. Radclyffe) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Western Africa' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Sierra Leone, Bakel, Christiansborg and Cape Coast Castle.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 34.1cms by 24.8cms (not including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.