'WESTERN HEMISPHERE.' & 'EASTERN HEMISPHERE.' by J. Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A very decorative and detailed pair of mid 19th century maps of the Western and Eastern Hemispheres which were drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London, Edinburgh & Dublin: J. & F. Tallis, c.1853).
John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas, published complete from 1851, was the last decorative world atlas. The maps of the Western and Eastern Hemispheres were the finest ones to appear in this work with their rich detail, decorative borders and attractive vignettes. Both maps are flanked by illustrations of the native people, fauna and flora which inhabit their respective hemispheres including Eskimoes, Native Americans, a raccoon, llama and penguin in the Western and Europeans, Arabs, Africans, a horse, camel, giraffe and kangaroo in the Eastern.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed areas are approximately 34.2cms by 25.3cms and 33.5cms by 25.8cms for the Western and Eastern Hemispheres, respectively (not including imprint).
- The maps are in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.