'THE WORLD ON MERCATOR'S PROJECTION' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of the World which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren and J. B. Allen) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'World on Mercator's Projection' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Vesuvius, London, Gibraltar, Constantinople, the Pyramids of 'Ghizeh' (Giza), Niagara Falls and Pont Neuf, Paris.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 34.9cms by 26.3cms.
- The map is in very good condition. The top and bottom margins are close, as issued, but still mountable without loss. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.