'The arms of the Colleges; &c in Oxford' by J. Owen & E. Bowen c.1720
A charming 18th Century engraving displaying the coats of arms of the major colleges in Oxford, which was published in John Owen and Emanuel Bowen's pocket road atlas, Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London: T. Bowles, 1720). The mileage chart above relates to the road from Oxford to Cambridge.
'Britannia Depicta' (1720-1764) was one of the most popular atlases of the 18th century being published in many editions for close to fifty years.The maps themselves were engraved by Emanuel Bowen (1694?-1767) who was one of the most renowned and prolific map makers of the period. As with many of his maps, he has included copious amounts of text -- written by John Owen -- describing the county.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed areas are approximately 11.6cms by 18.2cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 290 years old