'BRITISH AMERICA' (Canada) by J. Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1853
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of 'British America' (Canada) which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & R. Wallis) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London, Edinburgh & Dublin: J. & F. Tallis, c.1853). An interesting feature of the map is that, at the time of its publication, Alaska was part of Russia i.e. 'Russian America'.
John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas, published complete from 1851, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'British America' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the City of Montreal, Fury and Hecla, 'Esquimaux' (Eskimoes), whale fishing, polar bears and a seal.
- This is an original steel engraving with original and later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 33cms by 26.4cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centre fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.