'THE BRITISH ISLES' (with rare text) by J. Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of the British Isles which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by John Salmon and Robert Wallis) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'British Isles' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of London, Edinburgh, Dublin and a port scene (possibly Portsmouth).
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.6cms by 35.6cms (including publisher's imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.