'CAPE COLONY.' (South Africa) by John Tallis c.1851
A decorative and fdetailed mid 19th century map of the Cape Colony which was drawn ane engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & H. Bond) and published in John Tallis & Co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York:J. Tallis & Co., c.1851). The original page of descriptive text which accompanied the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The Cape Colony map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes.Illustrated are views of Cape Town, Graham's Town, the entrance to the Knysna, native people and a solitary lion.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.4cms by 25.2cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins.. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.