'CAPE COLONY.' (South Africa) by John Tallis c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Cape Colony (South Africa) which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & H. Bond) and published in John Tallis & Co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York:J. Tallis & Co., c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The Cape Colony map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes.Illustrated are views of Cape Town, Graham's Town, the entrance to the Knysna, native people and a solitary lion.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.4cms by 25.9cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 165 years old.