'CARNARVAN SHIRE' (Caernarfonshire) by J. Owen & E. Bowen c.1753
A charming 18th Century map of Caernarfonshire (Welsh: Sir Gaernarfon), Wales* which appeared in John Owen & Emanuel Bowen's pocket road atlas, Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London: Thomas Bowles, 1753).
Britannia Depicta (1720-1764) was one of the most popular atlases of the 18th century being published in many editions for close to fifty years.The maps themselves were engraved by Emanuel Bowen (1694?-1767) who was one of the most renowned and prolific map makers of the period. As with many of his maps, he has included copious amounts of text -- written by John Owen -- describing the county.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed areas are approximately 11.7cms by 18.5cm.
- The map is in very good condition. The bottom margin is close, as issued. but still mountable without loss. Click on image for better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 260 years old.
*On the reverse of the map the road from Welshpool to Dolgelle is displayed (uncoloured).