'DARBYSHIRE' [Derbyshire] by Robert Morden c.1722
An interesting and detailed map of Derbyshire which was originally produced by Robert Morden in 1695 and published in Camden's Britannia (London: 1695-1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example is from the 1722 edition as it has the 'spread eagle' watermark in the paper. This is one of the few cases where a watermark can be used to precisely date a map.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.9cms by 35.9cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; central fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 240 years old.