'HEREFORD SHIRE By Rob.t Morden' c.1722
An interesting and attractive map of Herefordshire, first published by Robert Morden in 1695, which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example is from the 1722 edition as it has the 'horse in 3 inch circle' watermark in the paper. This is one of the few cases where a watermark can be used to precisely date a map
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 42.1cms by 35.6cms.
- The map is in very good condition; centrefold, as issued. The bottom border is slightly close but still mountable without loss. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 250 years old.