'HUNTINGDON SHIRE' (Huntingdonshire) by Owen & Bowen c.1720-1764
A charming 18th Century map of Huntingdonshire which appeared in the pocket road atlas, Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London: T. Bowles, 1720-1764).
The maps from this atlas were engraved by Emanuel Bowen who was one of the most prolific and renowned mapmakers of the period. As with many of his maps, Bowen has included a paragraph of text, written by John Owen, describing the county. The mileage chart relates to the Huntingdon to Ipswich road via St. Ives, Ely, Soham & Bury St. Edmund's. On the reverse of the map is displayed the section of the road from Huntingdon to Soham (see image).
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 11.5cms by 18cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for better view
- The item comes displayed in a museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 240 years old.