'The Illustrated Atlas' (title page) by H. Warren / J. Rogers / J. Tallis c.1851
An interesting and decorative mid 19th century title page which was drawn and engraved, respectively, by H. Warren and J. Rogers, for John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London, Edinburgh & Dublin: J. & F. Tallis, c.1851).
John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The title page epitomized this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. The continents of Europe, Asia, Africa and America are represented by figures of their indigenous inhabitants who occupy each corner of an elaborate border (the European figure bears a strong resemblance to Prince Albert, husband and consort to Queen Victoria). Beneath the ornate title, a tropical island scene depicts men and women from the four corners of the World in peaceful coexistence.
- This is an original steel engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 22.6cms by 32.4cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There are a few minor creases and light scuffing to the paper beneath the 'Native American' figure. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.