'ISLANDS IN THE ATLANTIC' (Azores, Madeira, Bermuda, Canary Is., Cape Verde Is.) by John Tallis c.1853
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of the Islands of the Atlantic -- including the Azores, Madeira, Bermuda, the Canary Islands and the Cape Verde Islands -- which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Islands in the Atlantic' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Fayal, Pico and Villa Franca in the Azores; the Chapel in the Rock of Vicente, Cape Verde Islands; Funchal, Madeira and Tenerife, The Canary Islands.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.6cms by 35.2cms.
- The map is in very good condition; centrefolded with the top margin shaved, as issued Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.