'JAMAICA' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1853
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Jamaica which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles & W. Lacey) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1853).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Jamaica' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its highly decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Kingston, Port Royal Harbour, Port Antonio, a sugar mill and one of a flying fish.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 35cms by 25.7cms.
- The map is in very good condition; central fold, as issued. The left margin of the decorative border is close to the paper edge and there is some light offset. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.