'LA DESCRIPTION d'Egypte...' by Sebastian Munster c.1550
An interesting and attractive 16th century woodcut map of Egypt which appeared in Sebastian Münster's Cosmographia Universalis (Basle: Henri Petri, 1544-1578 [French text edition]). Interesting features of the map include the depiction of the Nile delta and the pyramids which are shown as rectangular blocks.
"[Sebastian] Munster [1489-1552] probably had the widest influence in spreading geographical knowledge throughout Europe in the middle years of the [16th] century. His 'Cosmographia', issued in 1544, contained not only the latest maps and views of many well-known cities, but included an encyclopaedic amount of detail about the known -- and unknown -- world and undoubtedly must have been one of the most widely read books of its time, going through nearly forty editions in six languages." (Moreland & Bannister, 'Antique Maps', Phaidon, 1989, p,78-81).
- This is an original 16th century woodcut.
- Printed area is approximately 15.9cms by 25.7cms (including text).
- The woodcut is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame acid free mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 400 years old.