'MAGNAE BRITANNIAE et HIBERNIAE TABULA Die Bitannischen Insulen.' by Matthaus Merian c.1638
A very attractive and finely engraved 17th century map of Great Britain and Ireland which was published by M. Merian in Neuwe Archontologia Cosmica... durch J. L. Gottfried... (Frankfurt: 1638-1646).
"This map of Great Britain was copied from the Blaeu map of 1631 by Merian himself as his signature in the lower right-hand corner shows. The studio employed a number of prominent seventeenth-century engravers -- including Wenceslaus Hollar -- to produce an important 21-volume illustrated descriptive and historical text about seventeenth-century Europe, which contained nearly 700 maps, some 250 portraits and 34 large panoramas of towns! A standard reference work on the European mainland, it is rarely found in Great Britain and few copies can have come here at the time of publication." C. Moreland & D. Bannister, Antique Maps, p,219, Phaidon (1986).
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 35.2cms by 26.9cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. The top right edge has had some paper loss but this hasn't affected the printed area and has been repaired. There is also a small repair to a split to the top centrefold. Click on image for better view
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs
- Guaranteed to be over 365 years old