'NORTH AMERICA.' by J. Rapkin / J. & F. Tallis c.1851
A highly decorative mid 19th century map of North America which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The North America map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Niagara Falls, Mount Hekla (Iceland), a 'Convoy of Diamonds', an ancient monument in Mexico, a wapiti deer, beavers, North American Indians, an Eskimo dog sledge and, interestingly, Cossacks in 'Russian America' (Alaska).
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.2cms by 35.9cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.