'NORTH AMERICA.' by Sidney Hall c.1843
A very finely engraved, detailed and attractive 19th century map of North America which was published in Black's General Atlas: A series of Fifty-Four Maps from the Latest and Most Authentic Sources (Edinburgh: A. & C. Black,1843).
At the time of the maps publication the south-western part of the modern day United States (including California) was under Mexican control, whilst the Oregon Territory was claimed by Great Britain and Alaska was the eastern most extent of the Russian Empire. In the case of Mexico, this was to change with the Mexican-American War (1846-1848) and the culminating Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (1848). The boundary dispute with Britain and America was settled with the Oregon Treaty of 1846 (49th Parallel) whereas Alaska was purchased from Russia in 1867 at the price of 2 cents per acre.
- This is an original steel engraving with original outline hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 25.6cms by 38.5cms.
- The engraving is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 170 years old.