'NORTHERN INDIA INCLUDING THE PRESIDENCY OF CALCUTTA' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Northern India which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by A. H. Wray & J. H. Kernot) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Northern India' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of the British Residency in Hyderabad, the ruins of Old Delhi, a 'Car of Juggernaut', a tiger hunt and 'Hindoos' (an Indian man and woman).
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.9cms by 24.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.