'THE OLD BRIDGE OVER THE TYNE AT NEWCASTLE, BUILT IN THE 16TH CENTURY, DESTROYED BY A FLOOD IN 1771' by 'The Graphic' c.1887
An interesting and detailed late 19th century double page view of Newcastle upon Tyne (depicting its 18th century bridge) which was engraved on wood by H. W. Brewer and published in The Graphic (May 21st, 1887).
First published by William Luson Thomas in December 1869, 'The Graphic' was a popular illustrated newspaper which rivaled 'The Illustrated London News'. Its influence on the art world, in particular, was immense, attracting such admirers as Vincent Van Gogh and Hubert von Herkomer.
- This is an original wood engraving ( & chromolithograph?).
- Printed area is approximately 50.4cms by 31.4cms (including title).
- The engraving is in very good condition with decent margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 130 years old.