'OUKHAM' [Oakham] by John Speed c.1627
An attractive early 17th century 'bird's eye view' plan of Oakham -- taken from a John Speed county map of Rutland -- which was published in [John Speed's] Theatre of the Empire of Great Britaine (London: Sudbury & Humble, c.1627/1632).
First published in c.1611/1612, this is the earliest known printed town plan of Oakham and was probably surveyed by Speed in about 1605. It is believed that he performed this by carefully pacing each street -- hence, 'Scale of Paces'.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- The printed (displayed) area is approximately 15cms by 12.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition. It was originally part of a larger damaged Speed map of Rutland before being salvaged. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 350 years old.