Page 201 & 202: The Road from KING'S LYNN to YARMOUTH via NORWICH (Double sided) by J. Owen & E. Bowen c.1720-1764
A charming double sided road strip map from King's Lynn to Yarmouth -- via Billingford & Norwich -- which appeared in John Owen & Emanuel Bowen's Britannia Depicta or Ogilby Improv'd (London 1720-c.1764).
The Owen and Bowen road strip maps were based on the far larger ones done by John Ogilby in the 1670s. Their smaller format of ½inch to the mile however made them more practical and portable than the folio sized Ogilby road atlas which weighed 4½ pounds! They had the added bonus of copius amounts of information to their sides and bottom describing the places visited. Britannia Depicta proved to be immensely popular with the travelling public and was continually published for nearly 50 years.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed areas on both sides are approximately 11.8cms by 18.2cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame museum quality mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for Postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 240 years old.