'PART OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of South Australia which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'South Australia' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Adelaide, Natives on a catamaran, a nymphicus (cockatiel) and a dingo.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.7cms by 34.4cms (not including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. There is a small area of the map (beneath the dingo illustration) which has had some light scuffing and the line of longtitude within has been strengthened with a pencil, probably by the original owner. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.