'RUSSIA IN EUROPE' by ANON. c.1820
An interesting, detailed and finely engraved early 19th century map of the European / Eastern half of Russia, with original outline colour, which was produced by an unknown cartographer and publisher. The map has been printed on good quality paper which was manufactured by the J. Whatman 'Turkey Mill' in c.1820.
*J. Whatman (The Elder) established his renowned paper making company at the 'Turkey Mill' near Maidstone, Kent in 1740. Throughout the 19th century the mill produced not only the finest paper but also improved in the methods of mass quality production. Paper bearing J. Whatman's mark was still being used for quality publications until 2002. Whatman's name has entered the Russian language, where ватман (vatman) is a generic word for heavy high-quality paper used for drawing and watercolours.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 19.6cms by 23.3cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centre fold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- The item comes displayed in a ready to frame acid free mount.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 190 years old.