'SHROP SHIRE' By Robert Morden c.1722
An interesting and attractive map of Shropshire, first published by Robert Morden in 1695, which appeared in Camden's Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695 - 1772). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example is from the 1722 edition as it has the 'spread eagle' watermark in the paper. This is one of the few cases where a watermark can be used to precisely date a map
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.7cms by 36cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 290 years old.