'VAN DIEMEN'S ISLAND OR TASMANIA.' by J. Rapkin / J. Tallis c.1851 (with text)
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Tasmania, Australia (formerly Van Diemen's Land) which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis & Co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851). The original page of text which accompanies the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 onwards, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'Van Diemen's Island' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of 'Hobarton' (Hobart). Native Tasmanians and, interestingly, one of the now extinct 'Thylacinus Cynocephalus' or Tasmanian Tiger.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 25.2cms by 35.2cms (including imprint).
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.