'VICTORIA OR PORT PHILLIP.' (Australia) by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851 (with rare text)
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Victoria, Australia which was drawn and engraved by John Rapkin (vignettes by A. Warren and J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis & co.'s The Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849, was the last decorative world atlas. The map of Victoria was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its ornamental border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Melbourne, the River Glenelg, Native Australians (Aborigines) and Kangaroos.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 32.4cms by 36.5cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.