'WEST INDIA ISLANDS.' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851
A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of West Indies which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Warren & W. J. Rogers) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851).
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The 'West Indies' map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its highly decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Kingston, Jamaica; various ships in harbour and one of a West Indian couple.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 33.1cms by 25.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. There is a minor mark to the bottom left which is outside the map border. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.