'THE WEST RIDING of YORK SHIRE by Rob.t Morden.' c.1722
An attractive and detailed map of Hampshire which was originally produced by Robert Morden in c.1695 and published in Camden's Britannia (London: 1695-1722). The maps were and described by Bishop Gibson as "much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared". They are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which were based on the statute mile!
This particular map comes from the 1722 edition as it has the distinct 'spread eagle' watermark. This is one of the very few cases where a watermark can be used to date a map.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 41.2cms by 35.7cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; central fold, as issued. Minor stains outside the printed area. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 250 years old.