'WESTERN AUSTRALIA SWAN RIVER.' by John Tallis / J. Rapkin c.1851 (with rare text)
A decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of Western Australia which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by A. H. Wray & W. Lacey) and published in John Tallis's Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851). The original page of text which accompanies the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The South Australia map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Perth from Mount Eliza, Aborigines, sheep shearers and a scene between Perth and Freemantle.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.3cms by 34.3cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on 'Delivery Policy' for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 160 years old.