A highly decorative and detailed mid 19th century map of the Guyana which was drawn and engraved by J. Rapkin (vignettes by H. Winkles) and published in John Tallis’s Illustrated Atlas (London & New York: John Tallis & co, c.1851). The original page of text which accompanies the map is included.
The Illustrated Atlas, published from 1849 to 1853, was the last decorative world atlas. The ‘British Guayana’ map was typical of the many fine ones which appeared in this work with its highly decorative border and attractive vignettes. Illustrated are views of Georgetown, New Amsterdam, ‘Ataraipu’ or Devil’s Rock and Christmas Cataract on the River Berbice.
- This is an original steel engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 24.9cms by 34.8cms.
- The map is in very good condition with adequate margins. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 155 years old.