A very attractive and decorative early 17th Century map of the West Riding of Yorkshire which appeared in William Camden’s Britannia* (London: 1607-1637). This is the earliest printed map dedicated solely to the West Riding and comes from the 1637 edition which had the (plate) number ’48’ added to the bottom left of the map.
*’Britannia’, first published in 1586, was one of the most popular and influential books of the period. The work of the Elizabethan antiquarian, William Camden (1551-1623), it was a detailed historical and topographical description of Great Britain. Its patriotic sentiments, in particular, both appealed to and generated the growing sense of nationalism that was coursing through late Tudor / early Stuart society. Between 1607 and 1637 county maps, based largely on Saxton’s surveys and engraved either by William Kip and William Hole, were added. These maps have the distinction of being the first set to show each county individually as opposed to several being grouped together on one page. Camden’s Britannia continued to be published well into the 19th century; from 1695 to 1772, county maps by Robert Morden were used, and from 1789 to c.1815, those by the renowned John Cary.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with later hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 31.2cms by 26cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins. There is some old hand written text on the reverse and some light “printer’s creases” outside the map area. Click on image for better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be over 375 years old.