A detailed and attractive 17th century county map of Hertfordshire which was produced by Robert Morden and published in Camden’s Britannia (London: Swale, Awnshaw & Churchill, 1695). Bishop Gibson described the maps from this series as “much the fairest and most correct of any that have yet appeared”. The maps are also notable for using up to three different mileage scales, none of which are based on the statute mile!
This particular example comes from the first edition of 1695 as Luton, Ansty and Codicot are described as ‘Lutton’, ‘Austy’ and ‘Cudicot’, respectively.
- This is an original copperplate engraving with original hand colour.
- Printed area is approximately 45cms by 36.4cms.
- The map is in very good condition with decent margins; centrefold, as issued. Click on image for a better view.
- Click on ‘Delivery Policy’ for postage costs.
- Guaranteed to be at least 300 years old. .